Tuesday 31 December 2013

Packing Palava!


So apparently it's -15c today in New York.  I'm not sure whether I've made the right move or not, but I've decided not to pack thermals.  I may be popping into the first thermal shop when I get there, but at the moment, whilst thinking about packing, I just can't get my head around what -15c actually means.  What does -15c feels like?  I've been in cold minus degree weather before, like -5ish, but I just can't imagine -15c!.


The weather change is even more dramatic because I've just spent the last 3 weeks in sunny Mandurah, Western Australia.


Shorts.  Thongs.  T-Shirt.



That was all that was worn - day in, day out.  And in a couple of days I will need to consider hats, scarves, gloves, layers, boots, socks, snoods, ear muffs, jackets.... and the rest.



So my next challenge is combing the two lots of attire in the one suitcase because I'll be facing a range of temps from the said -15c to upwards of 27c in Hawaii, and then some in-between temps in Las Vegas where it will be mid to late teens during the day and then colder at night.

Easy!  I hear you all cry.  Just pack your winter things and then chuck the shorts, thongs and t-shirts in on the top!  But, I don't like to be slapdash in my approach to packing.  There is an intricate skill to fitting in outfits for an array of temps such as these.  Mixing and matching so that you can utilise all items in the cold locales.  

How will I wear shorts and thongs in the cold climates you might ask..... well, I'm not sure yet, but perhaps I just might start some new fashion trends whilst I'm there...... 


Move over Vicky Beckham, you've got some competition!

When I first went overseas, I took a back without wheels.  


Then the next trip, I upgraded to a backpack - heavy and cumbersome.  My travel intelligence grew bit by bit and the next time I travelled, I packed a suitcase - the biggest suitcase you've ever seen!  


Since then, each trip I try desperately to packer lighter and take a smaller case.  I like to think I've evolved somewhat in this area...


...and so this trip will see me take a medium sized lightweight case with 4 wheels.  


Next trip I will invest in a case that is like Marry Poppin's magic carpet bag or Hermione's magic tardis purse - extremely small and lightweight and has no bottom on the inside!


I'm sure I'll get it right one day. 














No comments:

Post a Comment