Thursday 16 January 2014

A Hair Raising Story


My cousin, Chris has very long hair and we’ve been trying different braiding styles in it each day.

When I was 12 my Mum and Dad went to America for a trip.  I really don’t remember how long they were away for, but our (only slightly) older cousin (6 years my senior), Suzie came and lived with us for that time.  I was in grade 7, my sister was in Year 9 and Suzie was in Year 12, so we were all at school and wearing the same school uniform.

One day after school we had popped into Rigters, the local supermarket back in the day (which is still owned by the same man today - Mr Rigter) when we came out the car next to us had parked too close so I couldn’t quite get into the passenger side.  The man who was sitting in the car called out to me and said 

“You might want your mum to back out first before you try and get in.”

This man watched us walk across the car park before reaching the car and therefore would have clearly been able to see that we were all wearing matching uniforms.  Which would make Suzie either a very mature student who was perhaps repeating a few years of high school or she was an extremely young mother (she’s only 4 years older than my sister).  This paradox both confused us and made us laugh for years after.

Anyway….. Suzie was very good at the hair braiding and she would try all these wonderful and fantastical braids in all different directions on my head.  2 Weeks before Jen and Col got home, we did a two braid starting high on the head and trailing around behind the ears into long plaits sitting on the shoulders.  Two weeks later, it was time to take the braids out.  They had stayed in perfectly all that time and as I unravelled each layer of hair it was apparent that my hair had transformed into an afro.  It was brilliant!


I was hoping Chris would keep hers in for the remainder of the trip, but she wanted to wash it!  

What’s she like?

No comments:

Post a Comment