Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Trauma of Train Travel

I make my reservation
Three months in advance
I'm on a tight time schedule 
And I don't want to take a chance

My alarm is set the night before
To wake at seven thirty
The train won't leave till half past nine
But I like to get there early

Just before I got to sleep
There's an email from Amtrak
Your train has been cancelled
And the time has been pushed back

The lovely people took the liberty
Of putting me on another train
I changed the alarm and went to sleep
We were back on track again

I locate the big screen with the departure times
Mine's the fourth one to be displayed
I find my gate and take a seat
Announcement: Train has been delayed

No 'sorry to inform you'
Or 'we regret to say'
No valid reason given
to explain such a delay

How long will we stand here?
When's the train due now?
Hundreds of confused faces
Scowling with furrowed brow

Five minutes, ten minutes
Twenty minutes pass
Looking at this angry mob
I'm glad I paid for Business Class!

No comments:

Post a Comment