Monday 6 January 2014

Jet Lagged Conversions

For those of you who have heard me says that I've never seen the morning side of 3am - meaning I've gone to bed that late, bur never, by choice would I get up that early....... well, jet lag seems to have changed all that.


It's currently 2.40am and I'm wide awake!  I did, in all fairness fall asleep on the bed at 5.30pm, woke up again at about 7.30pm when I briefly thought about going to get some dinner or ordering room service, then fell back to sleep until now.


So whilst I've been lying here, I've been thinking about temperature conversations between Celsius and Fahrenheit, as you do.

When Jenny and I were in Canada on the Living The Dream Tour of 2012 our tour guide gave us an easy way to convert

C + 30 x 2 = F
F - 30 / 2 = C 


However, this week, when I've been dealing with a lot of conversations due to the weather being ridiculous (said like Red Foo), I realised that particular formula is not always exact - in fact it's only exact with one or two temps.  So off to Google I went to find the true formula.  It was like a midnight adventure in search of the answer to the question...... but Google was so good, I solved it in one search, now I need to think of something else to do until other normal people are awake.
Examples °C → °F:
  • 0° C → 0+30 → 30° F (low by 2°)
  • 10° C → 20+30 → 50° F (exact!)
  • 30° C → 60+30 → 90° F (high by 4°)
  • 180° C → 360+30 → 390° F (high by 34°, not good)
Examples °F → °C:
  • 40° F → 10/2 → 5° C (almost right)
  • 80° F → 50/2 → 25° C (low by about 2°)
  • 120° F → 90/2 → 45° C (low by about 4°)
  • 450° F → 420/2 → 210° C (low by about 22°, not good)
So the exact formula is:

Celsius to Fahrenheit
(°C × 9/5) + 32 = °F
Fahrenheit to Celsius
(°F - 32) x 5/9 = °C


so you would go:

5℃ x 9 = 45
45 / 5 = 9
9 + 32 = 41°F

See?  It more exacter than using the previous formula.

Here is the website that I found that makes converting temperatures fun.


Go on, have a go yourself.  It could be a fun thing to do whilst your keeping out of the heat in Australia!

Now for me........


1...2...

No comments:

Post a Comment