Friday 24 January 2014

Blue Hawaii

  • Blue Hawaii is definitely on my list of ALL TIME favourite movies.  I have watched it at least 100 times and can recite the movie from beginning to end.  It's odd, because I'm not a massive Elvis fan and haven't seen a lot of his other movies, but this one, for some reason struck a chord with me.  So you can understand my excitement when the green trolley drove through the suburb of Kahala...... where Elvis' family live in the movie.  I desperately searched for his house, but my guess is that it wasn't on the main road, or perhaps even filmed there..... nevertheless, I looked.


    Movie Synopsis
    Chad Gates (Elvis) has just gotten out of the Army, and is happy to be back in Hawaii with his surf-board, his beach buddies, and his girlfriend. His father wants him to go to work at the Great Southern Hawaiian Fruit Company, but Chad is reluctant. So Chad goes to work as a tour guide at his girlfriend's agency.


    Fun and hilarity ensue...


    Scene between Chad's parents, Sarah-Lee (played beautifully by Angela Lansbury in a southern American accent) and Fred Gates: 

    Sarah Lee Gates: Now that Chadwick's home, I'm sure he's got all that foolishness out of his system, after the war.
    Fred Gates: Sarah Lee, how many times do I have to tell you, he was not in a war.
    Sarah Lee Gates: I know you're right, Daddy, but if I don't tell myself there was a war, I have a most depressive feeling Chadwick's just wasted two years.


  • Scene between Chad and Mylee (his Hawaiian girlfriend):

    Chad:   I used to think a lot about this place (the beach).  I was afraid it might change, but it's still beautiful.  This is for me. - Mylee:  You're not going to stay here.
  • Chad:  I got a roof over my head, a cot, a stove...
  • Mylee:  But you've got a beautiful house in Kahala, and a family.
  • Chad:  Let's get this over with.  All the time I was overseas, I got a letter from my folks every week reminding me of my beautiful future in my dad's pineapple business.  And the more they reminded me, the more I knew I couldn't come back


    He wore tight pants and broke into song for no apparent reason. 

  • And always had a following of have naked Hawaiian men in even tighter shorts who carried percussion instruments with them.


    Scene between Chad's parents:

    Sarah Lee Gates: Chadwick think of who you are. Remember you come from a fine family.
    Chad Gates: You'll do enough remembering for both of us, ma.
    Sarah Lee Gates: Oh Daddy, what did we do wrong?
    Fred Gates: Off hand I'd say we got married.


    The spot where Elvis is sitting is pretty much the exact place where we had a picture taken the other day...... this means that we, but transferal of bottom placeage, know Elvis!


    Thank you for the music Elvis.




No comments:

Post a Comment