Sunday 5 January 2014

Ice Castles

One of my favourite movies of all time (besides Elvis Presley's Blue Hawaii) is the 1978 version of Ice Castles staring Robby Benson and Lynn-Holly Johnson. 


 It's about a young, talented ice skater who is training for competitions, but she has a fall, bangs her head and goes blind and then for the rest of the movie she feels sorry for herself, snaps out of it, fights back with the help and support of her family, her coach and her boyfriend and comes back to succeed.  She doesn't tell the competition people that she's blind or else she wouldn't have been able to compete, but then at the end of a flawless routine, the crowd throws roses onto the ice for her, apparently an ice skating tradition, and she can't see them, therefore trips on them and falls making it obviously to all that she is sight impaired.  It's beautiful.  I may have just ruined the ending for you, but it's still worth a watch.

So I think it was Lynn-Holly I was trying to channel when Marie and I went ice skating at Bryant Park today.



So elegant!



Just at this moment a security lady who didn't like her job came over and told us we shouldn't have cameras on the ice - fair enough..... but them when Marie nearly fell over and held onto the rail for support, the same lady called out

"Hey, don't do that!"

We just shuffled away saying what dumb rules they had.

 
They didn't have to worry too much about us on the rink - 3 turns around the edge and we were off.  Marie wanted to get off after 2, but I convinced her to do one more lap.

Don't you hate it how kids can just strap on the skates on get on the ice without a care in the world?  The girl in the pink did fall over just after I took this photo though which made me feel somewhat better about myself.  Sad, I know.

 

This is how cold it was.



Time for hot apple cider and some nibbles at the Winter markets.


The little cafes were desperately trying to dry the tables and chairs, turn on heaters and sweep all the snow away from their alfresco dining areas!


We tried these gorgeous little oven baked bacon and mozzarella balls.  
Delish!


The little shops were on their last open day of their holiday season in the park and were eager to get rid of some of their wares.  I did purchase some ear muffs and a beanie to match.  Marie found a lovely scarf, but couldn't find a new hat because of her unfortunately oversized head.  I've known her for years, but I never knew how big her head was.  I just thought it was all hair.  Apparently, I was wrong!


This chap had a onesie stall.  What a great place to work - it's PJ day everyday!


These poor buggars have got their work cut out for them trying to get the snow off the road and the sidewalk. (I know it's a footpath, but when in Rome!)


Snow Tip:  When you have this many layers on, it is very difficult to turn your neck or even your torso independently from the rest of your body.  If you do chose to turn just your head, you'll find that your hat and hood will stay still and you'll be looking into the side of said hat or hood.  

This can start to be more attractive when you have your hat or beanie bulled down over your eyebrows to keep them warm, making your eyelid half close - just on one eye.


















2 comments:

  1. I love that first photo of you on the ice rink - and the frozen fountain is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - I bought a head warmer thing at the Bryant Park shops too - she tried to sell me the matching scarf / ear muffs but I knew I was coming back to Perth (which is 38 degrees today by the way)

    ReplyDelete